View Single Post
Old 11-21-19, 08:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by AWillZ
Getting ready to replace my 2009 Ridley Damocles - I am sticking with Ridley as the Damo that I have been riding / racing for 10 years has been fantastic. Probably going to a Fenix SL. I had no intention of going with disc brakes but a couple of my riding partners think I should.

I understand the difference but the extra cost / weight doesn't justify the benefit (to me). I will outfit with HED Ardennes Black wheels (no pads on carbon tracks)

why pay more and add 1/2 pound to wheel weight??
You race, so you have a ton of miles and plenty of experience to know if your current setup is lacking in any way. If your current setup's brakes work for all the riding you do, then you dont need a different type of brakes.
I dont touch my disc brakes and I dont touch my rim brakes. I have caliper, hydraulic disc, hydraulic-cable disc, and cantilever. None of them require maintenance beyond changing pads.

Benefit to disc- fit wider tires(quality 28-30mm is loved by many).

You race and find rim brakes to work for your needs. You are using your bike closer to the limits than probably 90% of cyclists, so if you dont want disc brakes, dont get disc brakes. Its quite simple.