View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 01:00 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 198 Posts
Child Trailer Conversion to Flatbed

I had an old Pacific Cycles Instep kiddie trailer that had been in the sun too much and all the nylon was rotten. I stripped off the topworks and used Rubbermaid FastTrack Garage 48 in. x 16 in. Wire Shelf material for a flatbed, secured by stainless steel hose clamps. For the dimensions of my trailer, I was 1" short of getting by with just one 48" shelf; had to buy two of them.

Conversion to flatbed trailer.

I subsequently added reflectors and red rear LED light mountings.

I've been using it for loads that I can't handle in my baskets for the past year and it has worked well. The multiple connection options afforded by the grating makes securing diverse loads simple.

Some examples:

Grocery run mode with laundry basket secured by bungee cords.

Loose cargo secured by bungee cords, partially removed.

Pet hauling mode.

Dolly mode for long loads.

P.S.

After about 2 years of operation I found that the shelving material failed as follows:

Fatigue failure on small diameter strand.

In retrospect I should have strapped down the large diameter material, which is what I've done for the repair:

Better to clamp to large diameter on shelving.

A good feature of the hose clamps is that it can all be rebuilt if needed.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-08-21 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Add pet hauling mode. Add post script. Add dolly mode.