View Single Post
Old 11-25-19, 08:31 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Ridley X-Fire Gravel-ish build completed

A while back I purchased a Ridley X-Fire cyclocross bike not so much to use for cross racing even though I am giving that a small bit of thought for the future. Rather I wanted a gravel bike , but I just can't afford a new purpose built gravel rig. Over the weekend I finally finished my overhaul of the bike which involved replacing the rather tired Ultegra 6700 10 speed group with a new 105 R7000 11 speed group. Other changes made were to remove the FSA 44cm cross bars and really long stem / then installing an 80mm stem and 48cm Whisky gravel drop bars. I also purchased a new set of Velocity hoops and Shimano 105 R7000 hubs and a 11-34 R7000 cassette. Last but not least I also went with a Brooks Cambium saddle which I must say is actually not bad .

When I completed the build yesterday evening around 4pm it was starting to get dark , so I was unable to go for a really long ride, but the first thing I noticed was how nice the ride was on this bike, granted I do have 35mm tires on the bike but I was genuinely surprised how nice this carbon frame actually rides. Hopefully over Thanksgiving weekend I will be able to get out and his some unpaved trails and some gravel.