View Single Post
Old 11-25-19, 11:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I do but i've seen too many times what seems like a straight line isn't a few seconds later.

Last year I was following a guy about 15' back and as we were going to pass a slower cyclist they suddenly decided to make a U-turn. I was able to go right but he hit them and over his bars.

The problem is, people listening to music are not as aware of their surroundings. Just like people in cars are in their own little world.

Driving a car with headphone or earbuds is illegal, doing the same while cycling should be.
Ok, so your scenario is frustrating, I agree. I would be annoyed if I were affected by someone doing what that cyclist did.
Thing is- I disagree as to the cause. You claim the cyclist did that unsafe maneuver because they were unaware of their surroundings due to music. I say the cyclist was unaware of their surroundings because they dont realize they need to be aware of their surroundings.
Its quite simple to me- someone who is oblivious to others around them is going to be that way regardless of if they have headphones on. Turning your head to look back is what the cyclist needed to do before turning and they can do that while listening to music.

I rode 12mi of paved trail and 27mi of gravel yesterday. During the 2 hours of riding, I couldnt hear much of anything when I wasnt listening to music(I lost signal for a few minutes). Wearing ear buds reduces wind noise(so does the ear band I had on due to temps). I never felt unsafe during the entire ride. The 6mi of paved trail I rode in both directions had walkers and runners who were listening to music. I slowed for each, called out with time to spare, and rode around them all when they didnt react. Approaching each intersection, I looked ahead then looked behind and to the side.
While riding on the road, I would look ahead at what was coming up. Approaching intersections I would look to each side. I would look behind me before turning left to make sure it was safe. A few cars passed me- I rode in a straight line and they passed.

It was all quite harmonious and simple. Awareness and anticipation is all thats needed- and you can do both with ear buds in.
In all instances I can think of where something bad happens on roads- it is due to a lack of awareness, a lack of anticipation, or both. The cyclist that pulled a U turn on you did it because they werent aware of whats going on and didnt put effort into staying safe. That happens even without ear buds.
Likes For mstateglfr: