canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,209 Times in 1,427 Posts
I like a road setup for my road bikes for a few reasons:
  • I prefer really stiff soles for arch support. I've always had foot problems, including burning arch cramps from inadequate foot support. Back in the 1970s, switching from casual/running shoes to Detto Pietros and toe clips solved that problem. And today's road shoes are stiffer. My Scott and Fizik shoes are rated only around 7 on a scale of 10 for stiffness, but they're plenty stiff. Then I add my own insoles (ProFoot Miracle) for just the right arch support and relief from metatarsal hotspots.
  • I want to feel an almost mechanical connection to the bike. The bigger Look Delta and Keo, and similar Shimano SPD-SL, offer that connection. My only concession to aging is to use cleats with plenty of float.
  • It's what I started with. A couple of years ago texaspandj sent me a pair of classic Look Delta pedals. Tried 'em, loved 'em. Same with the nearly identical Shimano SPD-SL, which I have on another road bike.

But most of my friends use various MTB type pedals, cleats and shoes. Including the really strong, fast guys. I think it's because that's what they started with during their early transition from hybrids or mountain bikes with flat pedals, toward clipless. So they stuck with the familiar. And those shoes are more practical for walking.

Biggest problem with Look and Shimano SPD-SL is walking. Those cleats are not walk-friendly, especially Look Delta. The Keo and SPD-SL added little rubbery grippy pads to make walking easier. Also safer when setting a foot down at a stop -- less likely to slide out on sand, gravel, wet or oily spots.

I still use platform pedals and casual shoes on my hybrids. Haven't felt any need to go clipless on bikes I ride for casual group rides, errands and commutes.
Likes For canklecat: