Old 11-29-19, 06:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
deux jambes,
Even on a very limited budget I think the wisest course of action is a good powder coating place. To keep a piece of history like that around it is cheap. And maybe not in your current budget. But I have sent about six or seven to my "coaters" of choice and all with excellent results. They dip, blast, phosphotize, and then powder coat. They charge me $200 but I get a perfect frame and fork back every time. I add decals here and then clear coat with lacquer over the powder coating, and all works well each time. In most cases the process costs about as much as the frame is worth, but it restores the frame for posterity and makes you the proud owner of a classy looking vintage frame. And the finish is very durable. I understand the need for low cost restoration for many bike enthusiasts, being poor is not something we try to do, but more a result of circumstances, and is not a sin. But to save up for a couple of months to get the frame treated properly will pay off in future riding enjoyment. You likely had to save up to buy the frame, or do without something to get it in your possession, so why not take few extra steps to get it right the first time? You will likely find this one to be a keeper and will have fond memories of the process. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk: