Old 12-05-19, 01:46 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Turning this around a bit, I was training for a Century in the rural areas west of Chicago this past year, including some very long rides through the farms and cornfields of northern Illinois. After hearing multiple stories of rural cyclist harassment in Wisconsin from various sources, I was nervous about riding in the middle of distant cornfields without witnesses on road bike with a full cycling kit on. However, the drivers I encountered were ALL extremely courteous and gave me plenty of room when they passed. I was very pleased. Other than some funny looks from locals at a Casey's General Store in Stillman Valley, IL (not a lot of spandex-clad males in that town), all of my rides were harassment free and devoid of close calls with vehicles.

In all of my years of riding, I have only dealt with vehicular harassment once when I was a teenager in the early 1990's. I was in a group of five teenage cyclists in rural Wisconsin, and a guy in a pickup truck decided to stop and block the road and yell at us. To be honest, we were probably taking up more of the road than we should have been. But he thought twice about messing with five 16-year-old males who were not about to back down (a couple of us were high school football linebackers at the time).