Old 12-08-19, 09:00 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
What does your DMV say about contact lenses? That’s what I wear for “corrective lenses.” How would they know you’re not wearing contacts?
My vision is very near sighted and I’ve worn gas perm contacts forever. In my twenties. I tried soft lenses but couldn’t get the clarity due to astigmatisms.
I was pulled by a city patrolman in my younger days at night for “weaving”........fortunately no alcohol.....just poor driving!?!? He noticed the vision restriction on my license and really quizzed me about not having on glasses.......after doing the alcohol protocol. Probably due to the weaving??? I explained I was wearing contacts and he didn’t believe me. He shined his super bright flashlight in my eye and after a while convinced himself that I was telling the truth. After he left I had to sit for a bit to let my eyes refocus from his flashlight!!!!

My eye doctor has been monitoring my cataracts for a while. I’m probably 2-5 years away from surgery. I’ve been monovision with great success using gas perm contacts. I have both good distance and reading vision with the gas perm lenses. My right eye is used for reading and left eye for distance vision. I haven’t had any depth perception issues on the golf course. But I’m really looking forward to the day I can ditch the contact lenses. When doing overnight bike tours it’s a pain to put in contacts, in your tent, in the dark, with cold hands. While I don’t shoot rifles and shotguns that often anymore, I’d love to have distance vision in my right eye. It would be wonderful to watch television, sit on the beach, ride bikes or go swimming without needing corrective lens. It’s also an issue if you get a very small spec in your eye while riding, playing golf etc. it’s particularly an issue riding in a ground on wet roads with spray coming up into your face. You need glasses to keep the spray from affecting your contacts but you can’t see due to the water on the glasses....

While I’d really like to have distance vision in both eyes I’m just not sure what I will do when it’s time for surgery. I hadn’t thought about getting both eyes corrected for distance and using a contact for reading though. With my success in monovision that might just be the ticket for me though.

Question, for those that have good distance vision in both eyes but need readers, are you able to read the screen on your bike computer without corrective lens while riding? I use Garmins (mostly a 1000) with the slightly larger screen if that makes sense. I was hoping that wouldn’t be an issue if I had corrective distance vision for both eyes.