View Single Post
Old 04-24-03, 09:15 AM
descartes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need advice for an entry level road bike

I have a higher end mountain bike (yeti) that I love to ride off road. I have always owned mountain bikes and I know very little about road bikes. However, I am thinking about getting a road bike for weekly group rides and possibly centuries in the future. Not road racing and not commuting. I have done my best to read old posts to get an idea of what to look for.

Basically I have two questions:

1) For around $500 usd am I better off getting a used road bike or a bottom of the line Trek (1000) or Specialized (allez)? Trade off is of course getting fitted for the bike. From what I gather, road bikes seem harder to fit than mountian bikes.

2) If I wanted to spend more cash, how much better of a bike do I get for jumping up into the $800 range? My LBS carries Trek, Specialized and Cannondale. I was thinking about the Trek 1200 or the Cannondale R400.

Am I missing something or are road bikes higher priced than mountain bikes? I mean, for a mountain bike, $300-400 can get you in the door and $500-600 can get you something fairly decent. It seems to me that a $500 road bike is equivalent to a very low end mountain bike and an $800 road bike is equal to an entry level mtb. Please enlighten me. Okay I had more than two questions. Thanks.