View Single Post
Old 12-11-19, 04:23 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I've got one in progress. Tweaker house in my neighborhood is getting demolished. We ended up donating about 25 bikes in various states of decay to the local co-op - it was literally a truck full, and a ton of parts, wheels, etc. to go with it. I grabbed one mostly-complete Korean-made Moto, and after this sat around for a few days, I figured someone needed to do it justice. Tons of surface rust (see the rear stay in the medium-sized pic below, especially drive side, under the caliper) and stem was severely stuck, probably the 3rd worst I've ever had to deal with. Took some ultra-fine bronze wool and soap to the tubing to knock off all the rust, then buffed and polished a couple of the worse areas to get some shine back on it. Still needs a little more elbow grease but there's only so much lipstick you can put on an old pig, er, Peug?

I didn't give up on it, and I'm really sad I didn't get "before" pics other than these two crappy ones from behind - the bike was an absolute disaster and it looks respectable now. Here a pic of the buildup in-process. I dug around in the bin, got some CLB racer brakes I was about to sell here for $12 or $15 or something, think I'm retrofitting with a SR Apex crank and either Suntour or Shimano stem shifters and mechs. I'll probably go with the rims/wheels that are on it even though I've got two nice pairs of Rigida steelies in the attic I could toss on it. Have a few Atax stems and steel bars floating around, but may go with alloy bars. See if I can get it under 23lbs when all is said and done, then sell it to a college kid for cheap.