View Single Post
Old 12-15-19, 08:00 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Hi All,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 38 year old who likes to run, but am tired of constantly being injured (I carry too much weight to run the mileage I like to). After years of talking about out it, I finally got off my arse and bought a bike! The problem is, the LBS ordered it and it won't be ready for a week. Now what am I supposed to do for a whole week?
After so much time reading and watching videos on YouTube, I can't wait to get out there and start riding!

FWIW, I settled on the Trek Domane SL 5 (2020 version), Disc brakes (standard now), and the 105 set.

I live in the US (North Phoenix, AZ), and this time of year, every day spent indoors is a waste IMO.
I do have one noob question if you all will permit me: I have wide feet. The guy who did my fitting for the bike suggested I start with mountain biking shoes (vs. road cycling shoes) as they are more durable and comfortable. Either way I will be spending the first couple of weeks riding with normal running shoes so I can get used to riding a bike for the first time in 20 something years. Do you guys have any opinions on using mountain biking shoes/cleats on a road bike?

Also, any suggestions on brands that manufacture shoes in wide? The LBS didn't have any.

Thanks!
I ride with mountain bike shoes exclusively. Prefer the looks, feel and ability to walk in them with cleats. I have these: https://www.jensonusa.com/Specialize...t-XC-MTB-Shoes ...and had the previous model as well. They've been super comfortable and have worn well with no issues.

Btw,,, what color SL5 did you get, the navy (black) or red?