Old 12-16-19, 08:46 AM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano 600EX Chain, Derailleurs, Friction Shifters

Hi,

Working on my 1980s Nashbar Race “SIS”. Purchased in near mint condition and was shipped nicely by bike shop when I moved. I don’t think my derailleurs are bent after manufacture significantly.

The chain was worn and I had started to be unsuccessful in shifting to the big ring.

I researched chains and went with the Shimano HG 71 for this 6 speed freewheel and/or cassette. Chain said HG, not sure if the old Shimano is UG and compatibility completely. Pretty sure the inner plate width is much the same as old chain, though the outer chain width appeared significantly wider. I think I was around 2.38mm on 6 speed inner chain width. Found a chart indicating outer width could be 7.1mm on 8 speed and 7.8mm on 6 speed. Screwy, because the replacement chain was marked 8 speed conspicuously and 6 and 7 speed slightly less conspicuously. Review please, the old chain, probably original for the 6 speed, had narrower outer plates.

It did seem that it might work anyway, but I ran into more issues. Chain was rubbing in front derailleur cage, so I worked with mount and limit adjustments and centered chain and cage, causing no rub in front derailleur. Chain seemed to be moving nice but I picked up on chain rub on rear derailleur cage related to where I had installed quick link. Wasn’t easy to install quick link but I had read instructions and nicely used pliers to get it on, considering it was my first recent attempt with this type of link. Is there a 6 speed chain with a different connector that attaches better?

I
tried using tools to even out chain but could not eliminate rub on rear cage, near first quick link rivet and then later also around 2 rivets further. Chain ran but the rub sounded unacceptable. Still could not shift to big ring with friction shifter. Was able to overdo high limit and have it jump out front, and found wondrous the springing back of derailleur and my limited work with friction downtube shifters. Friction shifters looked simple, as I’ve heard, but interestingly seems both shift cables get affixed to shifters at a time, there appearing to be one screw securing both shifters, or very nearly. Could not get front derailleur to stay in big ring position while moving pedals and using shifter.

Considering removing front derailleur, though would be nice to be able to change up bike with use of both front rings. Could be satisfied just using big ring. May research chains and try another. May take friction shifters apart and practice cleaning and using cable, but I don’t think the shifters nor cable are certainly primarily the problem(s). Chain length probably right, having used Calvin Jones’s Big ring to big cog plus two, method.

Reviewing previous thread about chains and know shifting issue could be based on wear or scratch on big ring, though I prefer to try narrower chain before replacing big ring. Cheers . . !

Last edited by eric044; 12-16-19 at 09:21 AM.