Bike Forums - View Single Post - Custom lamps system with detachable battery box
Old 12-20-19, 03:21 PM
robalong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Custom lamps system with detachable battery box

Hello!

I've been looking at bike lighting systems on the web, from the new-fangled contactless 'dynamos', through LED and vintage. For my needs, fixed old-fashioned switched battery lamps will suffice.

I'm thinking of rewiring the front and rear lamps so that all the wiring comes together at a discreet and removable under-saddle battery box. This would contain two pairs of rechargeable batteries with a switch to change between the two pairs. When one pair dies, I simply click to connect to the other pair. The lighting is for 'being seen' rather than 'seeing' purposes (city street riding), so I think a pair of batteries would be enough to power both lamps.The battery box would come off for recharging, so a simple plug and socket would be required.

I like this idea, but...feeding the wires through the frame so that as little wiring as possible is visible? So far, I've thought of feeding thin wire through the frame and somehow catching it and pulling it through small drilled holes with wubbewy grommets. Yeah..."somehow" . Anyone done this kind of custom wiring? Any tips?

Cheers!

Last edited by robalong; 12-20-19 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Punct,uation correction