View Single Post
Old 12-22-19, 07:57 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I have experienced power loss as well........not measured by a power meter but I know my metrics enough to know it’s down. Mine was caused by a crash and hip replacement. Between the injury and not riding at high tempo levels for a while, power suffered. I can ride as many miles and as long as I’d like but my top end speed and that extra gear just isn’t there any more. I’m not crazy about it as I’m not able to ride with the groups I used to ride with but I can still climb and do the distance stuff.

I’ve experienced similar strength loss with my golf shots which is just natural aging. I just need to use a different club to hit it further. It’s also more important than ever to make sure my technique is spot on to get the distance needed.

I didn’t realize you were in the Pinehurst area. Have you crossed paths with Tommie Brock (you don’t have to admit it) or Rick Finnin? Tommie and I go back quite a few years, I heard he’d moved away from Southern Pines down to the coast. I met and rode with Rick for multiple days in Cycle NC in October. Super fella.

I am very much a solitary rider. In fact the ability to ride solo is part of the appeal of cycling to me. I don't know Tommie Brock but I know the name Rick Finnin from seeing some pretty good Strava times associated with his name. I don't think that I have ever met him, but honestly the only two cyclists that I actually know by name own my LBS (Rainbow Cycles in Southern Pines). Like I said - kind of a solitary guy.

I am also a golfer and interestingly the time that I now spend on my bike is time that I used to spend playing golf (where I am now pretty much a once per week guy). And yes I am at least a club shorter (more like 15 yards with the driver) than 4 or 5 years ago.

dave