Bike Forums - View Single Post - Custom lamps system with detachable battery box
Old 12-23-19, 04:34 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Planet X Carbon Pro Evo SRAM Force, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Giant XTC 4 mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
Well, each to their own, of course. But nowadays there are so many really good, completely self-contained, rechargeable lights that will go for hours between charges that what you are proposing seems like a lot of work for no appreciable gain. If you were thinking about really powerful lights for seeing with it might be another matter. My Cateye Rapid rear light runs for two weeks or more of my commute, amounting to around 10 hours per week. My front light is a very beefy one so only does two days but I'm sure you could find a front 'flasher' that would last a similar time and be almost as compact as the Rapid.

If you're determined to go ahead with your scheme there are some very neat solutions for that too. One I've seen involves feeding cable up the steerer tube and replacing the cap on the steerer with one that includes a USB socket, so you plug your light into the USB socket. I guess it's probably designed for a dynamo as feeding a cable from the saddle would involve going down through the bottom bracket and then coming out under the down tube. Very hidden, though.
Likes For jgwilliams: