View Single Post
Old 12-24-19, 08:55 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I have a Park Tool PCS-9. It does what I want and was a good price. I ended up getting it on sale for quite a bit off the regular price. I'm happy with it.

That said, I wouldn't recommend it. The clamp is ok but there are better. I haven't used the PCS-10 series so I can't give input of the differences. I have used the stands in the local bike co-op and they are far better. With the PCS-9 I have to hold the bike up and tighten it down, like the glorified wing nut mentioned above. The clamps can get much better with other models.

Clamping aside, the stand itself is nice for what it is. I can do everything I need and the stand doesn't move around. The only time the stand moves is if I'm putting a lot of force to remove something. Admittedly, this doesn't happen much. Usually on an unsealed bottom bracket that hasn't been serviced for years or decades.

Going back to the bike co-op's stands, the heavier the stand the better in my opinion. Also the wider the base the better. The problem with a very heavy and fairly permanent stand is it doesn't compress easily or much. Not sure if space is a premium where you'll be wrenching.