View Single Post
Old 12-29-19, 12:23 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I say that you've got a clean slate there, time to select a color and find a "right" set of wheels!

If it was mine, I would sand-blast and paint the fork legs, leaving only the fork crown chromed.

Looks like about a 1975 model. Is the fork spaced for a 100mm over-locknut dimension?

These bikes (Varsity and Continental) are always good candidates for 700c wheels, since the bb is so high and since the original calipers have the range. Tire choices will be much, much greater.
I believe that wider rims will give the best caliper arm geometry here, as well as better support for decently-wide tires.

I recommend sizing up a bit when acquiring one of these bikes, since the reach dimension tends to be quite short and since a shortish .833" dia. stem typically gives best handling on these slack-angled frames.

Personally I would likely toss the Randonneur bars if that's what they are!

I would retain the original cranks, Twin-Stik levers, and most of all the original kickstand. I would add lever hoods and perhaps keep the safety levers (making everything fit right of course).
Perhaps different levers would suit your hands?

Be sure and keep track of the special toptube brake cable housing ferrules during the painting process (as well as the derailer housing stop at the rear dropout)..

This should be a great build!

Last edited by dddd; 09-17-20 at 03:21 PM.