View Single Post
Old 12-30-19, 01:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
True. Schwalbe does an excellent as confusing the hell out of everyone with all the models and submodels.

Compass/RH confuses everyone with a different name for every tire size of the same damn tire.
And everyone else offers half a dozen or more variations of the same tire model, each with slightly different submodel abbreviations or with technology that changes in name every year or two.

No tire model should have 15 variations that span everything from fast touring to MTB to ebike. Thats absurd.
this made me chuckle, as it is soooooo true.
I'm an admitted bike nerd, so I kinda know all the various Marathon's now, but I agree, it was confusing as heck at first looking at and reading about marathon this and marathon that.....and yes, so many diff types of tires , all with Marathon xxxxx names.....

I still say that the original Marathon, the greenguard one (not the Plus) is a great balance of cost/ride/longevity.
I always bring this up, but my old pair of 26x1.5 regular ones must have about 10,000kms on them and are still in reasonable shape. And the rubber is still in good shape too after all these years. Dont ride them now, they are off a bike, but especially for the price one can find them, they are a great tire for what you get.

To the person asking the question from the start--the reason I recommend 1.5 vs 2 is that on pavement, 1.5's are great. Wide enough at 38 or 40mm to handle dirt and whatnot, rough pavement, but roll a bit easier on pavement compared to 2in and that size of tire (although of course specific tire models roll diff than others)