View Single Post
Old 12-31-19, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Are you wanting shoes that can take cleats? I use toestraps and traditional slotted track cleats made by Exustar with the LOOK standard 3-bolt pattern. Now walkable is a challenge. I have a pair of Lakes that I had a cobbler install sole material on around the cleat plus a heel and they are quite walkable but that was an expensive solution.

The $20 Exustar cleats are high quality; as good as any made back in the day and better than many, and a joy to install and adjust.

For years I commuted in LL Bean's Ranger Oxford shoes until they went with a mountain style sole. The earlier soles were soft, flat and little pattern so getting into the toestraps was easy. Soft moccasin style leather so the straps didn't scuff them and pulled tight, they gripped very well. (I could climb N 65th St in Seattle from both sides on my 42-17 fix gear in them.) If those shoes are still being made (I don't care the label) I'd love to know, I'd pick up a size 10D in a flash.

Ben