DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
That said, although the aero position may buy you 1 MPH, you are going to have sketchy handling and other compromises so I don’t recommend it.
I have no idea what any of this even means. It's not 1mph, it's 3-4mph-- which in TT terms is gigantic. Thanks to aerobars, I can average 21-22mph on 150-160W for extended periods of time-- in Z4 situations on flat ground, I'm 27-29mph. As someone with actual experience, I can state that steering with your elbows isn't a whole lot more different than steering with your hands, once you get used to the position. In terms of "buying speed," nothing will get you as much speed for the money spent as aerobars.

To the OP, most any tri base bar will suit your purpose, and the ability to go to a -10º or -17º stem should help get the bar (and the elbow pads) a bit lower. Quick maths show it ain't gonna be cheap (most due to the shifters) so it's a bit of a commitment. My only real advice is to go with aluminum everything to start, as you're not going to know what shape/length bars you're going to be comfortable with until you've spent some time on them, and to also set aside some money for a noseless/Tri saddle, because the TT position + normal saddle + man bits = unhappy times.