slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I have a former student (10 yrs old, still at my school) that would love to cycle. His legs barely function (can sorta walk several meters). Due to "the system" he is stuck in a chair with no propulsion means till he outgrows it. The kid deserves better.................
A Good thread Digger.
I agree, the boy deserves better.
Can you get a neighbourhood/local fundraiser going and the readies should appear quickly.
I think that to get the child onto a machine that has been manufactured to quality standards, where parts can be readily sourced through outlets or from within the cycling community is a better option.
In all likelihood, this course will enable him to be up and cycling quicker AND give him access to a support community.
Do you have a local spinal support group or access via the Care Cure forum
CareCure Forums

I have taken the liberty of posting a request on the forum. If I have overstepped a mark, or deemed to have hijacked, please PM me or note here and I will shut it down'

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...17#post1890717

If this young boys' legs are knackered he will need assistance and advice. He will have a perspective that we can all learn from and be able to contribute to those similarly afflicted.

Check here also.
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...pment-for-Kids
There may be some key that will afford this youngster access to funding, or other.
I do not know his background but I can assure you that many people with a disabilty are outside; I was. It is far better having access, even if it is only contact with others in similar circumstances.

A Post script - Nothing personal to you Digger. I dont like that word 'kid' for children; when I grew up it was a disparaging word for an annoying child; or a young goat - it still is.

Last edited by slow_runner; 01-01-20 at 11:42 PM.