I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Apparently you failed to notice that more and more "driver assist" technology (and no doubt eventually self driving technology) is quietly being added to the very automobiles that ordinary PEOPLE are buying.
Apparently you failed to notice that more and more "driver assist" technology (and no doubt eventually self driving technology) is quietly being added to the very automobiles that ordinary PEOPLE are buying.

You somehow envision a day when a switch is thrown and all cars are self driving... not likely. Just like other features in the modern automobile, self driving will be slowly introduced and slowly accepted, by the typical motorist. The exceptions will of course be the Hupmobile drivers that have not looked at a new car in 50-60 years and "would rather die," than stop actually wiggling a wheel to get to point B.

Eventually, when and if safety statistics show autonomous vehicles to be safer than human controlled vehicles... Hupmobiles may be banned from certain roads.

No doubt this is so far in the future that folks of your and my vintage have little reason to worry our heads about the coming wave of robot cars.
01-03-20 11:49 AM
No matter how little doubt you may have that eventually, one day, someday, sometime in the future, the "coming wave of robot cars" maybe will arrive, vehicles with "driver assist" features are no more driver-less autonomous self-driving vehicles than vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, digital dashboard displays, and/or power steering.

You are right though about how little we have to worry about the coming wave (or is it vapor-wave) of robot cars in the next four years.

Perhaps the trick is just to rename the existing driver assist features as "autopilot" or FSD/Full Self Driving (capable) as Elon Musk has done, get the fan-boys to pony up $6,000 or so for the privilege of owning cars with such "technology", and call it a day with a banner proclaiming Mission Accomplished!

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-03-20 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling