I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The more data collected, the more test cases run, the "smarter" the system gets... that does not happen with human drivers... each human starts at square 1... and has to learn everything all other drivers have learned before them.

Intelligence in AI driving improves daily... how many "shopping cart ladies" will killed in the future... or how many road crossing tractortrailers will be hit in the future by autonomous vehicles? Meanwhile, humans continue to "right cross" cyclists... year after year. AI gets smarter, humans do not. (Ultimately that may be the downfall of humans... but that's a different thread.)

Sensors improve... human sight and reaction times do not. In fact as each human ages, we get worse... after going through a period of steady improvement... us frail humans decline in performance.

AI is likely to be shared, if through no more than a greedy system of IP licenses.
So just how smart and learned have Google, Tesla, Uber, Ford, et al. become? Perhaps smart enough to recognize that they are a long way off from being able to move beyond testing their proprietary prototypes in a few limited carefully selected geo-fenced zones. The more recent gossip from the PR flaks indicates that the introduction date for production and sale of driverless cars keeps getting pushed out into the future for fielding real driverless cars (ya know, SAE Level 5 autonomous cars, not cars with advanced cruise control.)

It seems only in Internet gossip threads like this and Elon Musk Twitter-dom is there anyone seriously suggesting that real driverless cars will be available for use by the public in the next 4 or 5 years. And that speculation is fueled more by wishful thinking, references to data collection metrics, and redefining driverless cars as something that still requires constant monitoring by a human driver, than real honest-to-goodness facts

Good take on the subject is at: The rhetoric about driverless cars is being toned down