I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Silly human drivers... they just *think* they can drive in any and all conditions...
Yep, sure, Google knows better from their testing regimen and data collection that there is no reason to field a car that the passenger might need to use to venture beyond a few miles surrounding Chandler AZ or in any weather or road or traffic condition that varies too much from what can be found there. Not that Google has any intention to manufacture or field any cars, anywhere. Data collection, map making, and selling collected data, software and ads is the name of their game.

Uber would like to have self driving DRIVERLESS cars for the obvious monetary reason of pocketing the entire fare and not paying those pesky drivers a dime. Perhaps they expect to take ownership of their future DRIVERLESS taxis also without giving a dime to whomever will build them. Maybe Uber might even make a dime of profit if venture capitalists like Soft Bank will give Uber/Lyft Billions of Dollars to buy the fleet of (vaporware) driverless taxis with little to no expectation of ever getting repaid (just like the Ponzi-WeWorks fiasco.)

However, I seriously doubt that all the Billions of Dollars being burned on these prototype testing endeavors by Google, Uber, Ford, Volvo, M-B, et al. are for the purpose of producing an end product with fancy cruise control, built-in Internet connection, and proximity warning signals, BUT still requires a driver behind the wheel of every one of the vehicles when in motion. Won't be many cheers from the speculators and venture capitalists if that is all they get for their massive expenditures on this project. Sorta like settling for Tang instead of a moon landing and safe return.

My prediction is that if Alphabet/Google cannot monetize their mapping and obstacle detecting software being developed by Waymo and license or sell it for significant money in the next 4 years to some other organization that believes they can profitably utilize it in production vehicles, Alphabet/Google/Waymo will wash their hands of the entire Waymo money burning autonomous car project.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-04-20 at 01:45 PM.