Old 01-04-20, 10:31 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thumbs up Three Wheel Adventures...

Welcome to bike forums, Dobermandi; I ride a three-wheeler. I also had difficulty naming my ride; when I was younger, I rode two-wheel bikes. The bi was for two wheels, but that has changed. Assembly manuals for both my Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey call them bicycles, bikes, trikes and tricycles not in any consistent order.

Back in 1991, I was hit by a car while riding a motorcycle. In 1995, I started riding a mountain bike to transition back to a motorcycle; I was successful; rode 36,000 miles, including club miles, but in 1999 crashed. Didn't ride again until 2016, when I was 48. Head injury stuff like electric body control damage progressed over the decades effecting two-wheel balance, so I started with an Adult Tricycle, the technical name for trikes like the Sun Baja. I test rode a standard Sun to try the optional internal gears. Sun makes nice trikes, but too expensive for my budget. For speed and less stress on the knees, recumbent trikes are the way to go. However, they sell for four times as much as a Sun, just for entry level. For now, I make due with budget friendly adult trikes.

* In 2016, I pedaled 1,852.73 miles on my first adult trike;

' in 2017, I pedaled 906.32 miles spanning my first adult trike, a 29er mountain bike I broke my hip on and had total hip replacement surgery that kept me off bikes for 6 long months, and my second adult trike;

* in 2018, I pedaled 4,569.46 miles between my second adult trike and my third adult trike, Schwinn Meridian - first name brand trike;

* in 2019, I pedaled 4,436.87 miles on my 3rd and 4th adult trikes: Schwinn Meridian and Kent Monterey.

All the miles are necessary, because I commute between Orange and Los Angeles Counties. In the forums, I optimize Bicycle Mechanics most; I don't have a budget for local bike shop repair and maintenance services, so I must do the required maintenance and repairs that keep my transportation rolling, and the Bicycle Mechanics are helpful in that regard. In fact, a few months before I joined, I was reading threads to assist with bike maintenance and repair that came up often in Google searches. When I joined, I called my trike a cycle, and thought of it as a cruiser. I live on the coast, so beach_cycle was a natural handle. Since I've been riding, most people call my wheels a bike, and occasional terms used include three-wheeler, trike, tricycle, and adult tricycle. I try not to get caught up in the names; rather, just enjoy the ride... and regular maintenance/repairs to keep rolling smooth!
Likes For beach_cycle: