Old 01-06-20, 02:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have seen chains show radiating cracks from the pins after overexposure to Simple Green.

no aircraft mechanic will let it near an airplane.

I wouldn't over-expose a chain to soap and water, either.

I've taken NOS chains out of the wrapper which had many such cracks surrounding the pins, for whatever weird reason!

Parts of aircraft have electrical/electronic wiring stuffed into spaces where any ionic aqueous spray would not be welcome, for obvious reasons, and riveted construction might also not be the best place to soak with an ionic solution.

Fwiw, 409 and Fantastic seem to be harsher than the S.G., especially when trying to remove certain chain lube residues.

For aggressive grease-cutting, Finish-Line Citrus Degreaser is my go-to for worst-case stubborn grease/deposits, but even this stuff doesn't seem to dissolve waterproof grease. It is the fastest solvent I've ever tried for freeing severely-gummed Shimano STI levers, but I try not to have to put such an aggressive solvent in there with plastic bushings/spacers and other pieces inside.

Will anything dissolve waterproof grease out of a bearing retainer???.

I found a paint-thin layer of brown sludge in my Toyota's oil filter housing, and even Gumout carb cleaner spray just sort of pushed it around! The engine uses Mobil1 and Toyota synthetic oil.

Last edited by dddd; 01-06-20 at 02:36 PM.