Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
My thought process here was I already have 1 year old Bontrager Aeolus 5 (50mm deep carbon wheels) that cost around $1200. These are disc brake-specific wheels, if I found a reasonably priced value level tri bike that came with 105 Shimano and some stock alloy wheels I could easily switch them out and have a very fast bike. I'm 100% not arguing that there's any disc brake specific need for Tri, I just feel like it would be a tremendous waste if I got a used P2 and had to use the stock wheels that came with it...
Right... I think what I should have made more explicit is that, because disc-brake tri bikes are newer and more expensive, it will likely cost you more, total, to get a disc-brake tri bike ad use those A5s than to get a lightly-used rim-brake model and a set of Jets. There are going to be functionally zero deals on the disc-brake tri bikes, because last year was the first year they were available in any quantity and mostly at the high end. Now, if you are willing to spend more because you really want to use those wheels, then great, but be aware that you're likely going to spend more total to use them than you would for equal speed with a used rim-brake tri bike. I think the cheapest you'll find that's good is a P-Series 105; Felt charges you >$5k to get a disc-brake tri bike. And that Cervelo has TRP Spyres, not nice Ultegra calipers and levers.