View Single Post
Old 01-10-20, 04:52 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by grubetown
What size is the Marin? IMHO riding the wrong size bike is a recipe for not enjoying the ride. A hybrid won't be too fun to race even if you change out some of the parts.

It looks like you have quite a few spacers on the monster cross and taking some of those out will change the feel and which muscles you are using. Sacrificing a little bit of weight on the bike for a more comfortable race type fit would be the way I would go.
The Marin is kind of odd. Listed as a 52cm/20.5" frame... And yet, it is huge.

I've ridden bikes that "don't fit" a lot. But have to agree, something this size is probably not a great idea off pavement. Then again, I've done lots of bad idea things...

On my 29er, I was looking at a lower back issue, and tried that stem extension. I didn't like it. slightly lowering the seat resolved that temporary issue.

I found this morning, on the Marin, a bit of trouble. Wheels don't center in the chainstays. There is tire rub on the drive side...

Not sure how that happens with vertical dropouts. There isn't any apparent damage. I did try a different wheel, but same result.

No idea if it tracks straight or not. Proceeding further depends on having that chainstay issue looked at. Or, cut bait and start again. If nothing else, I've got a complete "kit" for a different frame.