View Single Post
Old 01-13-20, 01:15 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Well, today was the day. I hit a familiar loop this morning after one last check that everything was tightened and ready to go. I live on a hill, and the descent to the main street was smooth. The Weinmann centerpulls on this bike actually surprised me. They are much less flexy and spongy than others I've set up. The pads are some old black Dia Compes that I sanded to freshen up. Stopping was not an issue. But, how was the going?

After a quick adjustment to the front derailleur high limit screw, the going was great! It didn't feel as fast as some of my other bikes, but I attribute that to the wire-bead 27x1 1/4 Continental Ultrasports at 68 psi. Not that I dislike these tires. Quite the opposite. They are very smooth and soak up the bumps nicely. For the price, they're a good value. I did notice that the bike has a very slight pull to the right. I did have to adjust the fork blades a bit when I was building it to get the wheel centered, so I'm not surprised it's still a bit off.

The bottom line is that the praise I've read about the Raleigh Super Course holds true for me. This is a wonderful bicycle. The 90mm Box O' Crap stem has me just where I want to be. The bike weighs 27.4 pounds, but honestly feels lighter than that. It is lively, corners well, climbs well. I had a great first ride on it. Some shots:
Sure is perty!!