Bike Forums - View Single Post - House fire next door
View Single Post
Old 01-14-20, 08:10 PM
skidder
Semi-Crazy

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Interesting post, sad result.

I've never understood how 'volunteer firefighters' work. Do the volunteers have other day jobs and just do free firefighting in their spare time?
I got exposure to a few of those during my years with a consulting firm while working with small counties/towns. There would be a few staff meembers at the government offices who would drive the vehicles out to the emergency site and every else notified by phone/pager (not everyone had a cell phones back then) and they'd show up at the site with their equipment. Training was a few times per year doing drills such as laying hoses, best way to attack a fire based on circumstances (weather, farms & farm animals, schools, and whatever else was in the area), dealing with fueled fires (gasoline and other chemicals) and other industrial fires, multi-story building fires (if there were such in the area), and fire inspections to reduce fire potential and the spread of fires to surrounding structures. Most localities would get help from bigger cities in the region (training AND actual fire response) and insurance companies would usually help out, too (fewer fires, fewer payouts).