Bike Forums - View Single Post - Can I upgrade a 10-speed bike to 11-speed?
Old 01-18-20, 03:16 PM
MoreLowGears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Frame compatibility is the same across 10 and 11-speed groupsets. Your concerns are:
  • Wheels: most 11-speed road cassettes require a wider free hub (part of the wheel) than 8-10 speed ones. This is not the case for 11-34 cassettes and larger, which use the same freehub size and the biggest cog hangs over the end of the freehub. I think 11-34 and 11-36 are great sizes for climbing bikes, but the gear ratios at the tall end (small cogs) of the cassette so make sure you’re ok with that.
  • Shifters, cassette: these are obviously speed-specific and will need to be replaced. Make sure you buy the appropriate shifters (cable or hydraulic) for your brake type
  • Derailleurs: you’re in luck: the 4700 group set is the only 10-speed groupset that has the same cable pull ratios as 11 speed groupsets. You can upgrade in-place to 11 speed without changing these. Make sure you have the long cage (GS) rear derailleur for your wide-range cassettte. Shifting performance of the 4700 group is almost identical and the weight increase is only noticeable on a scale.
  • Chain: I recommend buying a new 11speed chain because you should get a new chain whenever you get a new cassette. That said, your old chain will work but have degraded shifting performance.
  • Brakes: will work without issue.

My recommendation: just buy the shift levers, chain, and a 11-34 cassette.