View Single Post
Old 01-20-20, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
dougmc's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,038

Bikes: Burly Canto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
I strongly recommend all of you ask your auto insurance providers if you have medical protection as a pedestrian under a coverage, and if you do - jack that coverage up. This stuff varies by state law.
As I understand it, as a general rule of thumb, at least in the US, PIP coverage covers your medical bills in any collision involving a motor vehicle -- even if you were a pedestrian or a cyclist and got hit by a car.

But ... it must be a collision with a motor vehicle -- if you collide with another cyclist, or crash into a pole on your own, it will not pay. There must be a motor vehicle involved.

Also, your name must be on the policy. I think your PIP coverage will cover people in your car even if not on your policy, but it won't cover them if they're not in your car and not on the policy.

And finally, at least in Texas (I have been through this personally), PIP payments can cover things that are already paid for -- for example, a car hits you while you're riding your bike. You have $20,000 in medical bills (bonafide, not the inflated amounts they like to throw at the uninsured.) Your health insurance pays $19,000 of that, and you pay the remaining $1000. Suppose you have $10,000 of PIP coverage, so you submit the bills to your PIP provider, and if they deem the amounts to be reasonable and proper (and the fact that your health insurance actually paid is a good sign), they'll send you a check for $10,000 -- and your health insurance has no rights to subrogate that, so you did indeed get paid $9000 more than you spent, and this is all proper.

That said, the larger the PIP coverage and the larger the medical bills, the more that the provider may decide that "these medical bills are not proper" and sometimes with large dollar figures you have to get a lawyer to help deal with your own insurance company. (And the lawyer wants 1/3rd, so it's not a decision to take lightly.) But for smaller amounts they tend to not give you too much grief.

Last edited by dougmc; 01-20-20 at 03:11 PM.
dougmc is offline