View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 08:55 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
yeah snow!, I'm in NJ and feel your pain. I remember you from the MTB forums, so welcome here as well
We have an inch of frozen tundra at the moment and expecting 2 inches of rain this weekend, expecting mudfest and suspension of trail riding for at least week as temps aren't changing much.
Ride the bike as is for the season, though the 'split tube' method may be your only option with those rims. I also gave up on tubeless on my winter wheelset with Weinmann rims, also on the Snowshoe XLs. People usually quote needing tubeless to drop pressure to single digits and tubes at those pressures would create pinch flats. But in the snow, it's pretty forgiving and you can run in the low teens with no issues, unlike on dirt. If you plan you ride the fatbike all year you'll want different tires anyway. The XLs are horrible on anything but snow and self steer like nuts.

Wait till the first dumping and trail breaking on 8 inches of snow, its heck lots of fun, but man is it a workout on the upper body... enjoy