View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 01:57 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Wow, lots of interesting info, Not so fast. I learned a few things today. Thanks!

I'm gonna zero in on one comment, because I have a question for you.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
One of the most notable items in your wardrobe that is conductive are you bike shoes. If you don't have insulated, winter specific shoes (or very good insoles), most bike shoes are simply hard plastic with a metal cleat. That metal cleat is in direct contact with your pedals. That is essentially a significant, and pretty efficient, conductive heat sink (metal is something like 10-50 times more efficient at conducting heat than plastic/air). The best insulation generally needs to be between your foot and the sole of the shoe, although covers help as well, since they reduce the convective losses for the rest of the shoe.
I've noticed the "heat sink" effect of cycling shoes with metal cleats. Non cycling shoes of similar construction on platform pedals are noticeably warmer when temps get down to freezing and below. Is there any way to effectively insulate that steel plate in the cycling shoe?