View Single Post
Old 01-28-20, 01:54 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Any "repair" to the seatstays is only going to be cosmetic, but no worries as that piece of tubing isn't butted so will never fail at the hole.

Look for a bottom bracket spindle dimension stamped into the spindle near the seal, it likely would carry an OEM-type size/offset code such as D-NL, but in this case I think you can assume (but do verify) that the correct bottom bracket for this RSX crank is 118mm, no offset. You really don't want to increase the driveside protrusion of the frame, so better to be accurate here than to "play it safe" with a longer or more heavily-offset spindle. A UN-55 model would seem like the best choice for low money.

If this bike fits, it should make a good all-around bike for where the triple compact gearing setup would be useful. There are 11-28t and 12-28t 7s cassettes that will give lower-yet gearing, but the11-24t was a standard RSX offering and features a nice, smooth progression of gear ratios.

Two thoughts on the right shifter, sometimes it takes a long time, or heat, to get the lightly-spring-loaded pawls inside to move, after an appropriate penetrating lube has flooded the shifter's insides. Once any relatively thick lube has filled the crevices, a more-aggressive penetrant may not be able to penetrate readily into the gummed pivots of the spring-loaded pawls.
Keep in mind also that if the unresponsive lever is moved VERRRY slowly, that the spring may then be able to overcome the gummy resistance of the thickened grease, and which may then create enough movement along the freeplay of the pawl pivot to help finally force the penetrant in. So after getting the lever to engage through a perhaps 2-minute-long early stroke, to where it actually catches/engages the cable spool teeth, a second engaging lever action may then take half as long and so on. Heat is your friend here, so perhaps use a hair drier or leave the lever under your car's hood for 20+ minutes before testing the levers again very slowly. It is almost rare to have actual mechanism damage causing an unresponsive lever on such a low-mileage bike, so don't try taking it apart or forcing anything.

Those calipers will be a nuisance when it comes time to remove the wheels if wider tires are used, so don't increase tire size unless a wider rim is also used, or until you replace those cheap calipers.

An LP-26 bottom bracket this old will usually have thickened grease that resists turning, but I have found that they continue to provide solid service for some years despite this. I wouldn't really expect it to free up much on it's own. There is I believe a thin locknut under a plastic cover that covers a keyed washer and cone, so disassembly is possible. The bearing retainer must be pulled straight out after the cone is removed, to allow the balls to be displaced to one side of the spindle so that the spindle can be withdrawn, so this is far from a standard rebuild procedure and I haven't rebuilt one of these in probably 20 years. Their bearing quality is quite decent though these are heavier and rougher-feeling than the UN55 that can be had for under 30 bucks.
As a former much heavier indivivdual, I always worry about stress areas, bikes, chairs, furniture... I'm down 140 pounds and still look to be safe before sitting on things.

I will look the existing BB over thoroughly, for markings, and then decide if a teardown (like RJ the Bike Guy did on a similar BB) will give me what I want, vs the cost of a suitable replacement. I am surprised this one seems to turn smooth still, given the dirt on the bike and age. Then again, the same BB on my 98 R200 is still spinning fine and I've never touched it. Though, it has spun more this past year than any other time since it was new.

This bike fits. I prefer 58 and 60 cm frames.My R200 and CAAD8 are both 58, the old KHS is 60. I also picked up a Marin hybrid that is an XL frame, that might be too big. But it needs work to be able to be ridden in the first place. I'm hoping to get the R300 out as an errand bike. I will keep the rack, but fit it properly, so I can use it for errands. The gearing is suitable as I live at the top of a hill. I might swap to a 12-28 or 12-30. If I want speed, I have the CAAD8 for that pursuit.

I have other Tektro calipers on hand that I will use regardless. I will not ride 700x23s. I will see if 700x28s fit.

Originally Posted by ryansu
My understanding for going to a sealed unit is the following measure your current spindle length for reference but more importantly note the crank you are going to use and check the crank manufacturers recommendations for bb. lets say you were going to use a VO triple they recommend a JIS 124 mm bb.
Staying with the RSX crankset, Planning to look at the existing BB to determine what it is, and then maybe clean it, or replace it as I wrote above...