Old 01-30-20, 10:56 AM
aabb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
In the past 2 weeks...
- you narrowed your purchase down to a Bianchi Impulso GRX-600 or Orbea Terra M20-D IX. You were told they are both great bikes and also told they are way more bike than you need, as well as not being the same/similar geometry or components so its as if you dont know what you are looking for.
- then you were on to the Bianchi Infinito CV and were again told its an absurdly expensive bike for a beginner as well as way more bike than you need/will benefit from.
- next you discovered Giant and realize they cost less than the more boutique/limited brands you had narrowed your purchase to.
- a conclusion is then made to buy a Trek Domane SL5.
- the Domane SL5 is suddenly too heavy because...youtube. The bike is continually complimented and basically every poster says to not worry about the weight penalty.
- a visit to a shop nets you a new bike to consider. A Cervelo C3 is now tempting you due to a massive discount. Once again, its advised to not spend this much due to you not knowing what you like/want/need and not being able to fully(or mostly) benefit from the bike.

And now you are asking about how to test ride a bike.

You have been to and spoken with multiple shops. You have declared multiple bikes are your final choice. But you havent ridden any yet?

I recapped because I dont feel like working right now and because it hopefully shows a couple trends to you. 1- you are universally being told you wont benefit from bikes in the price range you are wanting to spend(though if you want to spend that much, so be it). 2- dont get so hung up on tech and components. Instead, focus on geometry and what fits you well. The only way to know that is to actually ride the bikes. You are considering and have declared you will buy bikes that are quite different in fit(geometry) and feel(again, geometry).

Have you not asked any of the shops you have visited/spoken with what their demo/test ride policies are? Please do that. None will require you to have cycling shoes or bring your own pedals. If you want to do that, they will accommodate, but it isnt required. Or better phrased- any shop that would require you to bring your own pedals is a shop you should avoid.
The saddle isnt a good reason to buy or not buy a bike. Most stock saddles are generic/OEM so they can be serviceable for many while still being inexpensive. This is because saddles are often removed and selected after purchase to fit the rider.

Good luck- I really hope you take to cycling since you are going all in on the first purchase.
I understand your intentions, but the way you worded a large portion of your response is not great. Comes across as negative. If you don't feel like answering my questions, then great, don't answer - no one is forcing you. You could just read what I have to say and not reply.

Secondly, what do you honestly expect? Im completely new to this. I will not take the advice of some LBS who often try to sell bikes that exceed people's needs. I would much rather take the advice of people who just want to help without benefiting financially in some way from my purchase.

I am thankful for everyone who has provided tips and suggestions and opinions so far in this thread and the others. It has helped me learn a great deal and day after day I am much better in understanding what bike I want, hence this thread about the test ride as I am getting close to purchasing one.
Likes For aabb: