Old 02-01-20, 01:28 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
NYC Police Officer Tickets Me For Running Red Light

This morning I received a red light ticket on Riverside Drive heading back from a 9W ride. While riding I saw another cyclist in the opposite direction shout to me and a few other cyclists that were riding to watch out at the lights, they’re giving tickets. It was funny because when I started the ride to 9W this morning I saw two cyclists get pulled over right in front of me as they blew through the light. So I knew for a fact to stop at them, which I try to do anyhow. Anyway, I got popped on West 145 street and Riverside drive by an officer. Here is what happened in detail.

Approaching the light, I was fully stopped and unclipped from my pedals. I was patiently waiting for the light to change especially after what the other cyclist shouted in the opposite direction to watch out for the cops at the lights. So the light began to change from yellow and I clipped in. At this time, I began to sit down and slowly push forward as all the cars were stopped and underneath the signal my light was green. I get pulled over about a minute later and the officer tells me that I ran the light.

I argued that no I did not officer. I was stopped at the light and when it went from yellow to green I clipped into my pedals and slowly proceeded to go and it was green when I was underneath it. She says, “You know lights change from Red to Green right. I said I understand that, but on the other side of the traffic light it was yellow and that was when I clipped in to get ready to move on my bike. She says “Your story is far different from what you did”. She goes on to say that I was behind two cyclists that were behind you at the light, and YOU WERE STOPPED but then decided to go when the light was still red. I said offer, I did not run that red light because I know I didn’t I wouldn’t have waited all that time at the light just to blow through it. Anyway, she ended up giving me a ticket. I was going to plead not guilty and take her to court to share the details with the traffic court as to what happened. I also have a video above that I managed to pull footage from. Check it out, I wanted some thoughts… Pay the price or plead not guilty.

Likes For illjustride: