Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas1
NEW QUESTION
Hi there,

Hope I can post in a previous thread related to the same bike/topic (please split it if a new thread should be started). I've got a chance to buy a Univega Via Carisma (with a men's frame setup, it's uniform light blue if this matters) and would like to know a few things beforehand as the bike looks like it really needs some overhauling. I've currently got a 700c bike with a similar frame but the fork has some play in it and I'm wondering if I could use some of the components from my current bike on the Via Carisma frame.
  1. Does someone know the width of the rear and front forks on the Univega Via Carisma?
  2. Is there any information (decal) on the frame regarding its size so I can ask the owner to tell me the size of their bike or send me a photo of it?
  3. Is it difficult to find compontents for this bike? (I don't mind using substitutes, but am not sure if the Carisma's components are standard and easy to find).
  4. What size is the fork steerer?
  5. Is it possible to tell the year the bike was made in by just looking at its colour (uniform light blue)?
I'll try to get those measurements later. My Via Carisma is at the back of a pack of bikes in the spare room. And I'm going for a ride in a few minutes, to enjoy a sunny warm day when most folks are watching the Superbowl.

There is enough clearance for my favorite hybrid tire, the Continental SpeedRide, -- nominally 700x42 but measures closer to 700x38 according to most users, including me (via calipers). Varies a bit according to rim width. It will definitely *not* clear Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40, which measure closer to 700x45. The wider tire limits the swing of the front derailleur, and the side knobbies/tread will nick the chainstays. But the Via Carisma has been great with tires ranging from 700x32 to x38 (including the "700x40" SpeedRides). And there's enough room for SKS Bluemel fenders.

Regarding question 3, the Via Carisma should work with most mountain bike derailleurs and brakes. Some folks will swap out the original cantilever brakes for linear pull V-brakes, but I've left mine original.

Mine has the Shimano Exage 500 CX group, which appears to have morphed a year or two later into the Deore group with long cage RD, front derailleur that could cover a triple chainring, etc. I have both the Exage 500 CX and Deore LX RDs and they're nearly identical.