Thread: MUP-Lock...
View Single Post
Old 02-02-20, 06:15 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
MUP-Lock...

I usually favor the road over local MUPS due to congestion in nice weather.

I had a hankering to ride the Cottonwood Creek Trail again, and figured I would have to slow or even stop for pedestrians/kids/dogs/slower bikes by the parks.

However, it was an unusually warm and beautiful winter day in Colorado Springs. The phone said it was 48F at 10am, and by 2:30p it was 69F, although after a long stretch in the sun the bike thermometer showed 90F.

Once on the traiI don't think I rode more than 3 or 4 minutes between major encounters requiring stopping or near stopping. It was packed to the gunwales. Still, I enjoyed it. However the worst incident wasn't crowding, it was when I was passed by an older couple also on road bikes. I'm 58, and this couple appeared to be 65+. I looked for electric assist but didn't see anything. The bikes looked newer, but svelt and modest. My pride took a slight hit by being passed, but these days, I find people older than me and fitter than me inspirational.

Then I turned onto the Greenway Trail and was greeted with signs announcing some sort of run, and I think a ride. While I didn't have to stop, I did slow for a few clumps of runners and bikers and then after a couple of miles I came up on an actual "traffic" jam.

An actual stand still with a few dozen bikes and runners.

So I hopped onto the empty street next to the trail and continued on to other weekend street routes I ride.

The warm sun, the warm air, fingerless gloves and a light shirt and shorts, it's hard to believe it's gonna snow a few inches tonight and tomorrow...but it's still winter in Colorado.
Likes For BobbyG: