Old 02-04-20, 08:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadracer100
I’ve previously done a ride between My town in northern nj near the border of ny state and Philadelphia which totaled 100 miles. The route I calculated says it will be about 150 miles to dc from Philly.
I realize you are new here, but for an issue like this, details are crucial to getting the most helpful responses. For example, I live in Philly and have ridden from a "town in northern NJ near the border of ny state" (Port Jervis) to home numerous times.

So....
1. Where, exactly, are you planning to start from, and what route have you ridden between home and Philly. 100 miles seems pretty short. The way I have gone several times includes a segment from Upper Black Eddy, PA to Philly proper. That's over 60 miles in and of itself.

2. Not sure why you think U.S. 1 is rural. There are plenty of high-traffic, highly developed sections south of Philly. A portion of it in Philly is one of the more dangerous roads around. Barely a week goes by that you don't hear of a serious crash or a pedestrian being struck.

3. I would avoid the ECG, at least in PA. There is very little that is green about it. For example, there is a lot of busy street city riding north of the center of Philly. South through places like Eddystone and Chester it uses PA 291, which is called Industrial Highway, and for good reason.

4. Are you familiar with Adventure Cycling Association? If not, you should check out its maps. It's Atlantic Coast route comes down the river from Port Jervis to Lambertville, NJ/New Hope and then heads to Philly. The route along the river is really nice. The section from New Hope to Consohocken is a tried and true way used by local clubs. There is then a bike trail spur into the city, or you can continue south, also using some trail at first. Ultimately, there is a spur into D.C. I also believe it passes through or close to Baltimore. It's certainly not going to be the most direct way, but there are some nice sections.