Old 02-10-20, 08:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
i agree, that dynohub version is nothing special. I find that concept of the e-bike and battery powered versions interesting, because they offer switchable "wide beam" function in combination with the high beam. That gives you quite a versatile light. At the moment SP is acquiring the StVZO approval for those lights (according to their email).
Both my B&M Luxos U and AXA Luxx 70 Plus (both are dyno powered lights) have extra LEDs that light up at slower speeds to give you more lighting close up and a bit wider. That is automatic based on speed. Not sure how the lights measure speed, maybe based on alternating current frequency or maybe on hub output? Some have complained on-line that the AXA close in LEDs going on and off suddenly are bothersome, but I got used to that right away. The Luxos U it is more gradual instead of a quick on and off.

I can't imagine anyone needing over 2000 lumens for their electric bike, but I have seen plenty of bikers that thought they were safer when their lighting was blinding everyone else, at least the electric bike version would have a switchable high beam.