davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by antdd
The Rohloff alone would have been about 750-1000 Euro (just quickly checking on Bike24 and not sure which version is which) more then the Alfine 11 Di2 I got, and as far as I know using it with a drop bar isn't straightforward neither (best option seems to be a Gebla Rohbox for 190 Euro plus SRAM shifters). So even though Di2 isn't cheap, Rohloff is again another catogory.
FYI: I paid for the Alfine 11 Di2 hub £83 (SJS cycles), for the shifters&brakes (ST-R785 & BR-R785) CAD 316 (Merlin). Plus the whole Di2 stuff (battery and charger, junction A & B, cables, special stem to integrate the battery in the fork, Alfine Di2 motor). All this adds up, but a Rohloff setup would have been still quite a bit more... Probably in the end also more reliable, don't doubt that neither. Cables could still freeze, but since Rohloff uses two instead of one cable, I'm sure it's less prone to get stuck due to dirt alone. But I know and love my Alfine 8 (non-Di2), so this setup was more familiar to me. Let's see how it works out...
I know the Speedhub is expensive, I hadn't thought about compatibility issues with drops (I think the default shifter is a 1990s style grip shifter with two cables because the gears are internally indexed).

I have no direct experience with the Alfine 8 or 11 but I do love Shimano prodcuts! Good luck and happy riding!