View Single Post
Old 02-12-20, 12:25 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE=merlinextraligh;21323261]Mark,

my understanding is that you had this frame custom built by Calfee. They now offer an Adventure tandem on their website.

I’m assuming that your bike was essentially the prototype for their current stock offering.

Do you know if there are any differences between your frame and the new offering.

Also is there anything you would spec differently in hindsight?[/QUOTE
Looking at the current offering it appears to be very similar to our bike. We worked closely with Calfee to make it a bike that served our needs. There were not a lot of fork choices at the time so we ended up using a cycle cross fork that did not have a weight limit and modified the geometry to match the handling of the fork. It has worked well with out any problems or issues. We were very early adopters of hydraulic brakes on a coupled bike and they came up a good way to route the hoses and yet simple to remove. In hindsight I am not sure I would change a thing. The current offering allows the use of a front rack and ours does not but we have not felt a need for that. Maybe today one build it with boost spacing but we have had zero issues with strength of wheels and we use carbon rims on both the road version and 27.5 wheels. Plus if we could only have one tandem I would build one of these. The only regret is I could not talk Craig Calfee into putting water bottle mounts on the top tube so we could attach the frame bags to the top tube that way. The lacing system we use works but it would be cleaner with mounts. Build one you will not regret it.