Old 02-12-20, 11:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Thanks for posting you The Dura here, Evil Cisum. Much appreciated!

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Lots of grime but little rust. It should clean up beautifully. And the way it is set up, isn't half bad either. The 48/36 chainset is comfortably modern and compact and combined with the 14-28 (?) rear cluster it should get you up all but the steepest hills.

The Huret Allvit transmission is a piece of art, IMO. I love to see (and hear ) it in operation. And it's easy to live with, too. I equipped mrs non-fixie's first bike with downtube shifters with the same, and no other instructions were needed than "that's where you shift" and "if it's noisy, you move the lever a little until it's quiet".

The MAFAC "RACER" brakes are excellent, and I use them on most of my bikes. And I've been told that with new Koolstop rubber they're even better.

Other parts choices are a matter of taste or necessity, like the rack and the kickstand, but if I may make one suggestion: get a frame pump that will fit the original pump pegs. It will save your paint and look much better.

Likes For non-fixie: