Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by KenNC
I like the long chrome in back--I've repainted a Witcomb (of London) frame that had chrome socks front and back, and left lots of chrome exposed, figured why cover up good chrome with paint that will be chipped? Some felt that was not authentic, but I've seen numerous examples of UK bikes with long chrome, now including this one.

FWIW, I'd replace decals if the old decals can be removed without goofing up the paint!

Glad to provide additional confirmation for you, regarding the long chrome socks.

The pinstriping and chrome are relatively intact, as is most of the paint. The bike looks almost as if it got leaned up in the same way or the same place year after year, and ended up scaping the top tube decals the most, especially on the NDS. The rest of the frame is in significantly better shape, and hopefully will clean up nicely.

I'm glad to get support and confirmation of my approach. And thanks for your source for the decals.

I'm kicking myself for NOT getting NOS Witcomb decals 5 years ago when HLloydCycles still had them (and roughly the same cost, IIRC). I have a Witcomb track bike (Bright red, no chrome) bought from the West Hill Shop in 1975 that needs new decals. (Looking for pics, it's packed away at my folks.)

Regarding NR components, I am trying broaden my component mix, with appropriate frames. I remember these bikes in particular sometimes not being full NR, just headset, hubs, and shifters (I have a set of bar end shifters to put on the Holdsworth, though I can't remember if I have the stainless cable housings ...

CHeers, Eric