Bike Forums - View Single Post - Lake Cycling Shoes?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 01:46 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 337 Posts
I've been riding cheap Lakes for years. First as Performance house brand shoes, then under the Lake name. All with plastic soles. My feet love the fit. They hold up really well. First thing to go is the straps. Velcro wears out like Velco does. I sew in new Velcro and keep riding them. 10 years in all weather is completely the norm.

I like to ride toes down. All the time, sitting or standing. Any shoe that's going to work has to pass a simple test. Can I stand ballet point style on them with comfortable feet? Or are my feet going to slide forward and toes jam in the toe box. Lakes pass that test with flying colors. Now, straps give me problems, especially riding hills on my fix gears, There is usually a single contact point of the main strap on a bone in my foot. Pulling fix gear hard up to climb steep hills leads to a feeling not all that different from broken bone. Find myself loosening my straps at stops (impossible to do riding on fix gears!) That leads to blisters and jammed toes and toe infections. I love fix gears too much to quit so I cut the straps of those Lakes and installed laces. Instant heaven! My geared bike Lakes got the same treatment.

Went to the Lake site the other day and now the cheap Lakes come with laces! Now very high quality shoes for a very reasonable price and the best fastening system out there. My next pair. (But it might be a while. All my current pairs are doing just fine.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-17-20 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo