View Single Post
Old 02-20-20, 02:06 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 191 Posts
I was given my '90 Schwinn Voyageur by a relative who bought it new. He is shorter than me, and at 6'2 the 58CM Voyageur is too small for me so I had a difficult time getting it set up for a more comfortable ride. It is currently having Nitto Albatross bars installed with a Technomic stem as my homage to the the short-lived Raleigh Lenton Tourist, where Raleigh took their lightweight road frame, alloy components, and gave it a more upright posture for all-day tour riding (seen at Peter Kohler's website here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...ourist-50.html I have some cork grips from Rivendell with holes for the bar-end shifters that I'm going to shellac to match the brown Brooks. The bike is largely unchanged from stock apart from a new cassette, chain, and tires.

This is the bike last Spring. The proportions with a drop bar were not a great fit for my long legs and short torso. After I rode my big Peugeot, I realized how uncomfortable the Voyageur was and decided to make it into an all-day rider that I could tour with. I would LOVE to find another Voyageur or equivalent frame in my size of 60 or even 62cm though that might be a very French fit. I'd just switch the parts over. We'll see how the Albatross bars help, but I am going to keep an eye out for any opportunity to trade for a frame in my size. I'm not enamored with the colour, so it would be OK for it to move along.

Likes For Ged117: