Old 02-21-20, 10:17 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I'm gonna have to kick you in the NADS CrMo! You've already got the 'Creme-de-la-Creme' of (Japanese) mass-produced Vintage tourers in your stable and you're STILL not happy? Are you suffering from 'The Grass is Greener' because of frame-build location?

About the ONLY thing better than what you already have is a limited-production niche-builder or a full-on custom-built frame! And No, I'm NOT talking those heavy clunkers mass-produced today. Yes, those 'special builders' bikes come up every so often on the used market, but you've gotta be quick!

Or what about a late '70s P-15 'Touring Paramount'? https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1977.html https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1978.html Looks like the 77s were the last of the chrome socks era... Note that even those were 26 pounds!!! On second thought -- your Miyatas are probably 'better' bikes!!!
I KNOW!!!

I know that I have some amazing touring bikes in my stable. And for loaded touring they’re better suited than just about anything out there.

I’m not looking for a “better” touring bike, I’m looking for a different experience in biking. I want to see what the 60’s or 70’s bike rides like, while taking into account my frame geometry preferences. I'm curious about the frames built to handle cobblestone and other poor road conditions.

An early enough mountain bike wasn't what I had in mind, but it would be a nice change. There was a beautiful '85 lugged Trek 800 on the local Craigs, but it was tiny.

I almost bought a Raleigh competition frame, I think the ‘77? With the filed (copella?) lugs and sloped fork crown. It had the geometey I was hoping for (just about the same as the international) but the rear derailleur mount had been drewed off.