View Single Post
Old 02-23-20, 09:32 AM
eagletree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
Elite endurance athletes spend 20% or less of their time on high intensity efforts. The rest is spent at easy paces (which, for them, are likely much faster than regular folks can do even at their top effort level but they're still easy for the elites). Whether or not a full on off day is required is up to you. I never take one but also very rarely get sick so long as I don't push the intensity too much (literally, I've missed 5 days in about 7 years and that was due to one incident with kidney stones and surgery to remove them). If you don't beat yourself up all the time you don't have to have rest days (or regular periods of being sick).
On this angle, would the Strava Relative Effort stats allow one to know when you should go not push the intensity? I don't fully understand their algorithm, but it seems to be there to predict this time needed to back off. I very much like the idea of being able to still just go out and ride whenever I feel like it, and I can have the self-control to just take it easy when necessary. I would still enjoy the time out.