View Single Post
Old 02-23-20, 10:14 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
When you look at what he recommends it's pretty much actual manufacturers, Look, Time, Giant etc and the bikes he criticises are pretty much full importers or brands who basically have assembly plants and don't manufacture any parts. I've been saying Quest Composites are a mediocre manufacturer of CF for some time and so its no surprise in his recent video he shows how rubbish Canyon CF frames are made by Quest Composites. However I think Canyon may still be using Giant as their OEM supplier for aluminium frames. At the end of the day if you are buying a brand who doesn't manufacture themselves and are reliant on other factories and keep changing those factories to get the best price quality will vary. I'm happy to buy cheaper bikes from importers but if I'm paying serious money for a bike I would go for an actual manufacturer. What difference does it make to me if a company spends huge amounts on marketing and sponsoring sporting events I just want the best value product for my cash. When you look at the component brands he recommends many of those are actual manufacturers and those he disses are those that pretty much get their products made for them. Fully controlling the quality process inhouse with your own factory seems to be the main reason they offer better quality. Of course for the end consumer it takes a little bit of research to find out which brands are actual manufacturers and which are really just importers.Companies like Shimano manufacture many of their parts but at entry level prices often use low end factories, Tourney etc. Hambini puts Shimano in the middle. SRAM who manufacture far less of their own parts and rely on other factories far more he rates far lower in fact it seems the engineering quality of SRAM is as poor as he suggest with many engineering faults either caused by SRAM themselves or the factory contracted to do the manufacturing.

I'm not keen on Hambini's language but I genuinely believe the criticisms are completely honest and fair and he is not alone in his criticisms of many brands. I remember reading on a forum a Canyon CF bike that pretty broke on the first ride and was clearly very poorly manufactured. I don't believe Canyon scans every frame in fact I believe they are a completely dishonest company who manipulates their customers and never lets the truth get in the way of a sale. There are some German companies based on great engineering and others that piggyback on that reputation who don't merit it and Canyon would be a good example of that.
Likes For Bonzo Banana: